The Moldova State University was founded on October 1, 1946 as the State University of Chisinau. Its creation was a milestone for the development, strengthening and consolidation of the higher education of the country. The MSU is a classic type of institution and its noble mission is to offer qualitative education and training of highly skilled specialists.
5 faculties were opened initially at the State University of Chisinau (Physics and Mathematics, Geology and Soil Science, Biology, Chemistry, History and Philology).
During the first year 320 people were enrolled in 12 departments; the educational process was guided by the academic staff of 35. In 1958, department of part-time and correspondence education was opened at the State University of Chisinau; and, this form is of education is still used at some faculties. In order to facilitate the training of young professionals the evening section had been providing training for many years (1958-1981).
During 1946-1988, the institution, as a part of the Soviet system of education was under the management of Moscow. Beginning from 1969, the State University of Chisinau is a member of the International Association of Universities.
The MSU soon became a recognized leader of the national system of higher education in the country. It has always been responsive to the society demands; thus, the new departments and faculties were created: the Faculty of Economics (1953-1991, 2002), the Faculty of Law (1959), the Faculty of Engineering and Technology (1959), the Faculty of Foreign Languages (1964), the Faculty for Training Foreign Students (1967), the Faculty of Journalism (1980), the Faculty of Philosophy and Psychology (1994), the Faculty of Political Science (1995), Computer Centre (1973), Central University Library (1994). On the basis of some engineering and economics specialties of the Moldova State University, new higher educational institutions were established such as Technical University of Moldova (1964), the Academy of Economic Studies (1991) and the Academy of Theology (1993).
With the breakup of the Soviet Union significant changes were introduced in the system of higher education. During 1988-1996 the State University is characterized by improvement of traditional forms of scientific-methodological work and implementation of new technologies. Curricular and organizational forms previously used were modified. On January 19, 1990, the institution was renamed into the Moldova State University. The contract system has been applied since 1994 in the University.
The Moldova State University is the first higher education institution accredited by the Government of the Republic of Moldova, certificate no. 001, signed on February 22, 2001, with subsequent re-accreditation on September 28, 2006.
In May, 2005 Moldova State University adhered to the Bologna Process and Lisbon Convention. It has facilitated the mobility of students, graduates and academic staff, has prepared students for their future carriers and the life of active citizens in a democratic society, has supported their personal development, has offered wide access to the higher education of the superior quality, based on democratic principles and academic freedom. Thereby, the MSU became the first student-centered institution in the country.
Since July 20, 2006, the Moldova State University has become a profile member of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova. Today, the University has over 100 000 graduates of various faculties and specialties. During all these years the MSU has prepared the biggest part of the intellectual elite of the Republic of Moldova.
At present, the Moldova State University is one of the most important higher education institutions in the country. It has around 17 000 students who study at over 100 specialties and specializations at 14 faculties. The educational process is guided by academic staff of 1134 including 8 academicians and corresponding members, 90 professors / doctors habilitatus, 364 associate professors /doctors of science. Currently, MSU has highly qualified technical staff and a well-equipped material base, which provides a friendly atmosphere and qualitative studies.
At present, MSU has a well-equipped technical and material base, which supplies all areas of university activity, including 11 buildings for studies, 16 dormitories, 6 research centres with 26 laboratories, MSU Library, Centre for Information Technology, Publishing Centre, 12 culture and language centers, Cultural Center, Sports Center, four gyms, 3 student cafeterias, 6 practice training stations, and 3 holiday camps.
The Moldova State University is known worldwide in the area of higher education and is integrated into a strengthened international cooperation network, having concluded about 110 bilateral cooperation agreements with institutions of higher education from 28 countries. At the present time the Moldova State University is a member of the International Association of Universities (IAU), Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF), and the Eurasian Association of Universities (AEU).